An eight-hour seminar on the design and specification of welding for steel-framed structures using the AWS D1.1-2010 Structural Welding Code – Steel, the AISC 2010 Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, the AISC Seismic Provisions, and recent research. It will also include previews into pending changes in the above specifications, and reveal related areas of research and developments in structural welding.
- Improve your design skills.
- Learn what conditions create potential failures and how to avoid them through good design and specifications.
- Receive tips on proper welding design to reduce cost and avoid problems in fabrication, erection and inspection.
- Improve the quality and clarity of your project specifications, as well as update them to the latest standards.
- Better understand the engineer’s role in specifying inspection and testing requirements, and in making evaluations.
- Expand your knowledge of welding symbols to accurately convey your design information.
Introduction to Welding Design
- engineering decisions and responsibilities
- welding nomenclature
- welding processes and filler metals
Economical Design and Constructability
Design using Prequalified Status
- steels and matching filler metals
- prequalified joint design
- welding procedures
- weld size, throat, and length
- skewed joints
- ASD allowable stresses and LRFD design strengths
- permitted increases and required reductions
- minimum and maximum weld sizes
- weld terminations
- welding personnel
- non-prequalified steels, joints and processes
- weld tabs and weld backing
- weld access holes
- filler metal controls
- welding conditions
- lamellar tearing
- inspectors and nondestructive testing technicians
- inspection task lists
- weld quality acceptance criteria
- selection and specification of NDT – PT, MT, UT, RT
Retrofitting Existing Structures
- older steels and weldability
- design considerations
- fatigue life enhancement
- welded joint details
- maximum stresses and stress ranges
- governing standards
- demand critical welds
- design drawing and specifications
- weld backing and weld tab removal
- weld access holes
- inspection and nondestructive testing
Structural Welding: Design and Specification 8 hours $ 290.00